What HALLERVORDEN-SPATZ DISEASE means: Hallervorden-Spatz Disease - Neurodegeneration with brain iron accumulation (NBIA) is a rare, inherited, neurological movement disorder characterized by progressive degeneration of the nervous system. Symptoms, which vary greatly among patients and usually develop during childhood, may include slow writhing, distorting muscle contractions of the limbs, face, or trunk, choreoathetosis (involuntary, purposeless jerky muscle movements), muscle rigidity (uncontrolled tightness of the muscles), spasticity (sudden, involuntary muscle spasms), ataxia (inability to coordinate movements), confusion, disorientation, seizures, stupor, and dementia.
- Definition Hirayama Syndrome - Monomelic Amyotrophy (MMA):
- Dictionary Monomelic amyotrophy (MMA) is characterized by progressive degeneration and loss of motor neurons, the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that are responsible for controlling voluntary muscles hallervorden-spatz disease.
- Definition Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia:
- Dictionary Paraplegia - Hereditary spastic paraplegia (HSP), also called familial spastic paraparesis (FSP), refers to a group of inherited disorders that are characterized by progressive weakness and stiffness hallervorden-spatz disease.
- Definition Hemicrania Continua:
- Dictionary Hemicrania continua is a rare form of chronic headache marked by continuous pain on one side of the face that varies in severity. Superimposed on the continuous but fluctuating pain are occasional hallervorden-spatz disease.
- Definition HTLV-1 Associated Myelopathy:
- Dictionary Myelopathy - For several decades the term "tropical spastic paraparesis" (TSP) has been used to describe a chronic and progressive disease of the nervous system that affects adults living hallervorden-spatz disease.