What PAROXYSMAL CHOREOATHETOSIS means: Paroxysmal Choreoathetosis - is a movement disorder characterized by episodes or attacks of involuntary movements of the limbs, trunk, and facial muscles. The disorder may occur in several members of a family, or in only a single family member. Prior to an attack some individuals experience tightening of muscles or other physical symptoms. Involuntary movements precipitate some attacks, and other attacks occur when the individual has consumed alcohol or caffeine, or is tired or stressed. Attacks can last from 10 seconds to over an hour. Some individuals have lingering muscle tightness after an attack. Paroxysmal choreoathetosis frequently begins in early adolescence. A gene associated with the disorder has been discovered. The same gene is also associated with epilepsy.
- Definition Paraneoplastic Syndromes:
- Dictionary Syndromes - are a group of rare degenerative disorders that are triggered by a person's immune system response to a neoplasm, or cancerous tumor. Neurologic paraneoplastic syndromes are believed paroxysmal choreoathetosis definition.
- Definition Parry-Romberg:
- Dictionary Parry-Romberg syndrome is a rare disorder characterized by slowly progressive deterioration (atrophy) of the skin and soft tissues of half of the face (hemifacial atrophy), usually the left side. It paroxysmal choreoathetosis explain.
- Definition Periodic Paralyzes:
- Dictionary Familial periodic paralyzes are a group of inherited neurological disorders caused by mutations in genes that regulate sodium and calcium channels in nerve cells. They are characterized by episodes paroxysmal choreoathetosis what is.
- Definition Piriformis Syndrome:
- Dictionary is a rare neuromuscular disorder that occurs when the piriformis muscle compresses or irritates the sciatic nerve-the largest nerve in the body. The piriformis muscle is a narrow muscle located in paroxysmal choreoathetosis meaning.