What PARANEOPLASTIC SYNDROMES means: Paraneoplastic Syndromes - are a group of rare degenerative disorders that are triggered by a person's immune system response to a neoplasm, or cancerous tumor. Neurologic paraneoplastic syndromes are believed to occur when cancer- fighting antibodies or white blood cells known as T cells mistakenly attack normal cells in the nervous system. These disorders typically affect middle-aged to older persons and are most common in persons with lung, ovarian, lymphatic, or breast cancer. Neurologic symptoms generally develop over a period of days to weeks and usually occur prior to tumor detection, which can complicate diagnosis. These symptoms may include difficulty in walking and/or swallowing, loss of muscle tone, loss of fine motor coordination, slurred speech, memory loss, vision problems, sleep disturbances, dementia, seizures, sensory loss in the limbs, and vertigo. Neurologic paraneoplastic syndromes include Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome, stiff-person syndrome, encephalomyelitis (inflammation of the brain and spinal cord), myasthenia gravis, cerebellar degeneration, limbic and/or brainstem encephalitis, neuromyotonia, and opsoclonus (involving eye movement) and sensory neuropathy.
- Definition Porencephaly:
- Dictionary an extremely rare disorder of the central nervous system in which a cyst or cavity filled with cerebrospinal fluid develops in the brain. It is usually the result of damage from stroke or infection paraneoplastic syndromes.
- Definition Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy:
- Dictionary Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy - (PML) is caused by the reactivation of a common virus in the central nervous system of immune-compromised individuals. Polyomavirus JC (often called JC virus) is paraneoplastic syndromes.
- Definition Parkinson'S Disease:
- Dictionary Disease - (PD) belongs to a group of conditions called motor system disorders, which are the result of the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells. The four primary symptoms of PD are tremor, or paraneoplastic syndromes.
- Definition Postural Orthostatic Tachyardia Syndrome (POTS):
- Dictionary Orthostatic Tachyardia Syndrome (POTS) - A disorder characterized by a pulse rate that is too fast when the patient stands. Symptoms include rapid heartbeat, lightheadedness with prolonged standing paraneoplastic syndromes.