What PANTOTHENATE KINASE-ASSOCIATED NEURODEGENERATION means: Pantothenate Kinase-Associated Neurodegeneration - (PKAN), also known as Hallervorden-Spatz syndrome, is a degenerative disease of the brain, which can lead to parkinsonism. Neurodegeneration in PKAN is accompanied by an excess of iron that progressively builds in the brain.
- Definition Postural Hypotension:
- Dictionary Hypotension - Orthostatic hypotension is a sudden fall in blood pressure that occurs when a person assumes a standing position. It may be caused by hypovolemia (a decreased amount of blood in the pantothenate kinase-associated neurodegeneration.
- Definition Pervasive Developmental Disorders:
- Dictionary Developmental Disorders - The diagnostic category of pervasive developmental disorders (PDD) refers to a group of disorders characterized by delays in the development of socialization and pantothenate kinase-associated neurodegeneration.
- Definition Piriformis Syndrome:
- Dictionary is a rare neuromuscular disorder that occurs when the piriformis muscle compresses or irritates the sciatic nerve-the largest nerve in the body. The piriformis muscle is a narrow muscle located in pantothenate kinase-associated neurodegeneration.
- Definition Progressive Sclerosing Poliodystrophy:
- Dictionary Sclerosing Poliodystrophy - Alpers' disease is a rare, genetically determined disease of the brain that causes progressive degeneration of grey matter in the cerebrum. The first sign of the pantothenate kinase-associated neurodegeneration.