What INCONTINENTIA PIGMENTI means: Incontinentia Pigmenti - (IP) is one of a group of gene-linked diseases known as neurocutaneous disorders. These disorders cause characteristic patterns of discolored skin and also involve the brain, eyes, nails, and hair. In most cases, IP is caused by mutations in a gene called NEMO (NF-kappaB essential modulator). Males are more severely affected than females. Discolored skin is caused by excessive deposits of melanin. Most newborns with IP will develop discolored skin within the first two weeks.
- Definition Inflammatory Myopathies:
- Dictionary Myopathies - is a term that defines a group of muscle diseases involving inflammation and degeneration of skeletal muscle tissues. Inclusion body myositis (IBM) mainly affects individuals over the incontinentia pigmenti.
- Definition Iniencephaly:
- Dictionary rare birth defect caused by improper closure of the neural tube during fetal development. Iniencephaly is in the same family of neural tube defects as spina bifida, but it is more severe. Diagnosis incontinentia pigmenti.
- Definition Infantile Spasms:
- Dictionary IS) is a specific type of seizure seen in an epilepsy syndrome of infancy and early childhood known as West Syndrome. The onset is predominantly in the first year of life, typically between 3-6 incontinentia pigmenti.
- Definition Intracranial Hypertension:
- Dictionary Hypertension - Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH), sometimes called benign intracranial hypertension (BIH) or pseudotumor cerebri (PTC) is a neurological disorder that is characterized by incontinentia pigmenti.