What FAMILIAL DYSAUTONOMIA - FD, SOMETIMES CALLED RILEY-DAY SYNDROME means: Familial Dysautonomia - FD, sometimes called Riley-Day syndrome is a disorder of the autonomic nervous system which affects the development and survival of sensory, sympathetic and some parasympathetic neurons in the autonomic and sensory nervous system resulting in variable symptoms including: insensitivity to pain, inability to produce tears, poor growth, and labile blood pressure (episodic hypertension and postural hypotension). There currently is no cure for FD and death occurs in 50% of affected individuals by age 30. There are only two treatment centers, one at New York University Hospital and one at the Hadassah Hospital in Israel. One is being planned for the San Francisco area.
- Definition Fainting - Also Called Syncope:
- Dictionary called Syncope, is a sudden, and generally momentary, loss of consciousness, or blacking out caused by the Central Ischaemic Response, because of a lack of sufficient blood and oxygen in the brain familial dysautonomia - fd, sometimes called riley-day syndrome.
- Definition Floppy Infant Syndrome - Also Known As Hypotonia Or Infantile Hypotonia:
- Dictionary Syndrome - also known as hypotonia or infantile hypotonia, a condition of abnormally low muscle tone (the amount of tension or resistance to movement in a muscle), often involving reduced muscle familial dysautonomia - fd, sometimes called riley-day syndrome.
- Definition Frontotemporal Dementia - (Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration):
- Dictionary Dementia - (frontotemporal lobar degeneration) is an umbrella term for a diverse group of rare disorders that primarily affect the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain - the areas generally familial dysautonomia - fd, sometimes called riley-day syndrome.
- Definition Febrile Seizures:
- Dictionary a convulsion in young children caused by a sudden spike in body temperature, often from an infection. During a febrile seizure, a child often loses consciousness and shakes, moving limbs on both familial dysautonomia - fd, sometimes called riley-day syndrome.