What BASIS means: The amount assigned to an asset from which gain or loss is determined for income tax purposes when the asset is sold. For assets acquired by purchase, basis is cost. Special rules govern the basis of property received by virtue of another's death or by gift, the basis of stock received on a transfer of property to a controlled corporation, the basis of the property transferred to the corporation, and the basis of property received upon the liquidation of a corporation.
- Definition Bankruptcy:
- Dictionary For tax purposes, a formal petition filed in a Bankruptcy Court under Chapter 7, 11, 12, or 13 of Title 11 of the U.S. Code basis.
- Definition Bad Debts:
- Dictionary receivable that have been included in income in a prior year that are uncollectible, legally binding debts owed to the taxpayer that are totally worthless and uncollectible, and debts the taxpayer basis.
- Definition Business-Use Property:
- Dictionary Property used in a trade or business. Examples include tools, equipment, machinery, factories, and office buildings basis.
- Definition Business Bad Debts:
- Dictionary receivable that have been included in income that are uncollectible, legally binding debts owed to you that are uncollectible, and debts you must pay that you guaranteed in connection with your basis.
How works Basis meaning in Tah definition B .