What REYE'S SYNDROME means: Reye's Syndrome - a potentially fatal disease that causes numerous detrimental effects to many organs, especially the brain and liver. It is associated with aspirin consumption by children with viral diseases such as chicken pox. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the U.S. Surgeon General, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommend that aspirin and combination products containing aspirin not be given to children under 19 years of age during episodes of fever-causing illnesses.
- Definition Rasmussen'S Encephalitis:
- Dictionary Encephalitis - a rare, chronic inflammatory disease that usually affects only one hemisphere of the brain. It occurs in children under the age of 10 (and more rarely in adolescents and adults), and reye's syndrome.
- Definition Refsum Disease - Infantile - (IRD):
- Dictionary Infantile - (IRD) is one of a small group of genetic diseases called peroxisome biogenesis disorders (PBD), which are part of a larger group of diseases called the leukodystrophies. These are reye's syndrome.
- Definition Riley-Day Syndrome:
- Dictionary A very rare congenital disorder of the autonomic nervous system, occurring almost exclusively in Ashkenazi Jewish children. Symptoms include lack of tears, emotional instability, relative reye's syndrome.
- Definition Refsum Disease - Adult Refsum Disease (ARD):
- Dictionary Adult Refsum disease (ARD) is one of a group of genetic diseases called leukodystrophies, which damage the white matter of the brain and affect motor movements. Due to a genetic abnormality, people reye's syndrome.