What NEUROACANTHOCYTOSIS means: Neuroacanthocytosis - a rare movement disorder marked by progressive muscle weakness and atrophy, progressive cognitive loss, chorea (involuntary twisting movements of the body), and acanthocytosis (spiked red blood cells associated with several inherited neurological disorders). Other symptoms include facial tics, uncontrolled muscle movement, instability when walking, seizures, biting of the tongue and lips, and changes in personality, comprehension, and judgment.
- Definition Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus:
- Dictionary Hydrocephalus - (NPH) is an abnormal increase of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the brain's ventricles, or cavities. It occurs if the normal flow of CSF throughout the brain and spinal cord is neuroacanthocytosis.
- Definition Neurotoxicity:
- Dictionary occurs when the exposure to natural or manmade toxic substances, which are called neurotoxins, alters the normal activity of the nervous system. This can eventually disrupt or even kill neurons, key neuroacanthocytosis.
- Definition Neuromyotonia:
- Dictionary Neuromyotonia - also known as Isaacs' Syndrome, is spontaneous muscular activity resulting from repetitive motor unit action potentials of peripheral origin neuroacanthocytosis.
- Definition Neuromyelitis Optica Or Devic'S Disease:
- Dictionary Optica or Devic's disease - an autoimmune, inflammatory disorder in which a person's own immune system attacks the optic nerves and spinal cord. This produces an inflammation of the optic neuroacanthocytosis.