What INTRACRANIAL CYSTS means: Intracranial Cysts - are cerebrospinal fluid-filled sacs that are located between the brain or spinal cord and the arachnoid membrane, one of the three membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord. Primary arachnoid cysts are present at birth and are the result of developmental abnormalities in the brain and spinal cord that arise during the early weeks of gestation. Secondary arachnoid cysts are not as common as primary cysts and develop as a result of head injury, meningitis, or tumors, or as a complication of brain surgery.
- Definition Intracranial Hypertension:
- Dictionary Hypertension - Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH), sometimes called benign intracranial hypertension (BIH) or pseudotumor cerebri (PTC) is a neurological disorder that is characterized by intracranial cysts.
- Definition Intestinal Lipodystrophy:
- Dictionary Lipodystrophy - also called Whipple's disease, a rare bacterial infection that most often affects your gastrointestinal system. It interferes with normal digestion, impairing the breakdown of intracranial cysts.
- Definition Inclusion Body Myositis:
- Dictionary Myositis - Sporadic inclusion body myositis (sIBM) is an inflammatory muscle disease, characterized by slowly progressive weakness and wasting of the distal and proximal muscles, most apparent in the intracranial cysts.
- Definition Infantile Hypotonia:
- Dictionary or severely reduced muscle tone (the amount of tension or resistance to movement in a muscle), is seen primarily in children. It is not the same as muscle weakness but it can co-exist with muscle intracranial cysts.