What EXTRAPONTINE MYELINOLYSIS means: Extrapontine Myelinolysis - (CPM) is a neurological disorder that most frequently occurs after too rapid medical correction of sodium deficiency (hyponatremia). The rapid rise in sodium concentration is accompanied by the movement of small molecules and pulls water from brain cells. Through a mechanism that is only partly understood, the shift in water and brain molecules leads to the destruction of myelin, a substance that surrounds and protects nerve fibers.
- Definition Erb-Duchenne And Dejerine-Klumpke Palsies:
- Dictionary Dejerine-Klumpke Palsies - The brachial plexus is a network of nerves that conducts signals from the spine to the shoulder, arm, and hand. Brachial plexus injuries are caused by damage to those extrapontine myelinolysis.
- Definition Encephalitis Lethargica:
- Dictionary Lethargica - (EL) or von Economo disease is an atypical form of encephalitis. Also known as sleeping sickness (though different from the sleeping sickness transmitted by the tsetse fly), EL is a extrapontine myelinolysis.
- Definition Early Infantile Epileptic Encephalopathy:
- Dictionary Epileptic Encephalopathy - or Ohtahara syndrome is a neurological disorder characterized by seizures. The disorder affects newborns, usually within the first three months of life (most often within extrapontine myelinolysis.
- Definition Encephaloceles:
- Dictionary are rare neural tube defects characterized by sac-like protrusions of the brain and the membranes that cover it through openings in the skull. These defects are caused by failure of the neural tube extrapontine myelinolysis.