What KURU means: Kuru - is a disease which affects the brain. It is endemic among the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea and is universally fatal. It is characterized by headaches, joint pains and shaking of the limbs. It is believed to be caused by prions and is related to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. It is best known for the epidemic that occurred in Papua New Guinea in the middle of the twentieth century. Kuru belongs to a class of infectious diseases called transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs), also known as prion diseases. The hallmark of a TSE disease is misshapen protein molecules that clump together and accumulate in brain tissue. There were no treatments that could control or cure kuru, other than discouraging the practice of cannibalism. Currently, there are no cures or treatments for any of the other TSE diseases.
- Definition Kennedy'S Disease:
- Dictionary Disease - (KD) or X-linked spinal and bulbar muscular atrophy (SBMA) is a neuromuscular disease associated with mutations of the androgen receptor (AR). Because of its endocrine manifestations kuru.
- Definition Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome:
- Dictionary Syndrome (KTS) - (KTS) is a congenital circulatory disorder characterized by hemiangiomas (abnormal benign growths on the skin consisting of masses of blood vessels), arteriovenous abscesses, and kuru.
- Definition Klippel-Feil Syndrome:
- Dictionary Syndrome - is a rare disorder characterized by the congenital fusion of any 2 of the 7 cervical vertebrae. It is caused by a failure in the normal segmentation or division of the cervical vertebrae kuru.
- Definition Kleine-Levin Syndrome:
- Dictionary Syndrome - KLS, is a rare disorder characterized by the need for excessive amounts of sleep (hypersomnia), (e.g. up to 20 hours a day); excessive food intake (compulsive hyperphagia); and an kuru.