What INFLAMMATORY MYOPATHIES means: Inflammatory Myopathies - is a term that defines a group of muscle diseases involving inflammation and degeneration of skeletal muscle tissues. Inclusion body myositis (IBM) mainly affects individuals over the age of 50. The onset is truly insidious with symptoms often having been present for more than five years before diagnosis. The cause of IBM remains unknown, but is thought to be a form of autoimmune disease, where the immune system responds in a harmful manner to the rest of the body.
- Definition Intracranial Hypertension:
- Dictionary Hypertension - Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH), sometimes called benign intracranial hypertension (BIH) or pseudotumor cerebri (PTC) is a neurological disorder that is characterized by inflammatory myopathies.
- Definition Intestinal Lipodystrophy:
- Dictionary Lipodystrophy - also called Whipple's disease, a rare bacterial infection that most often affects your gastrointestinal system. It interferes with normal digestion, impairing the breakdown of inflammatory myopathies.
- Definition Infantile Spasms:
- Dictionary IS) is a specific type of seizure seen in an epilepsy syndrome of infancy and early childhood known as West Syndrome. The onset is predominantly in the first year of life, typically between 3-6 inflammatory myopathies.
- Definition Incontinentia Pigmenti:
- Dictionary Pigmenti - (IP) is one of a group of gene-linked diseases known as neurocutaneous disorders. These disorders cause characteristic patterns of discolored skin and also involve the brain, eyes, nails inflammatory myopathies.