What EMPTY SELLA SYNDROME means: Empty Sella Syndrome - (abbreviated ESS) is a disorder that involves the sella turcica, a bony structure at the base of the brain that surrounds and protects the pituitary gland. ESS is a condition that is often discovered during tests for pituitary disorders, when radiological imaging of the pituitary gland reveals a sella turcica that appears to be empty. There are two types of ESS: primary and secondary.
- Definition Extrapontine Myelinolysis:
- Dictionary Myelinolysis - (CPM) is a neurological disorder that most frequently occurs after too rapid medical correction of sodium deficiency (hyponatremia). The rapid rise in sodium concentration is empty sella syndrome.
- Definition Epilepsy:
- Dictionary general term that includes various types of seizures. People with diagnosed epilepsy have had more than one seizure, and they may have had more than one kind of seizure. A seizure happens when empty sella syndrome.
- Definition Encephalopathy:
- Dictionary a syndrome observed in patients with cirrhosis. Hepatic encephalopathy is defined as a spectrum of neuropsychiatric abnormalities in patients with liver dysfunction, after exclusion of other known empty sella syndrome.
- Definition Encephalitis Lethargica:
- Dictionary Lethargica - (EL) or von Economo disease is an atypical form of encephalitis. Also known as sleeping sickness (though different from the sleeping sickness transmitted by the tsetse fly), EL is a empty sella syndrome.